PDA

View Full Version : Giving Your Credit Card Number Over The Phone: Is It Wise?

bliss2xo
July 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM
this morning i called a very popular asian salon to book an appointment for a straight perm. their prices are always good & i love the stylists there, but then the receptionist asked for my credit card # over the phone. im like... wtf?

are u serious? i told her that i dont feel safe giving her my cc# over the phone. she then gave the phone to the salon owner (whom ive actually seen for a bikini wax), and she said its salon policy since a straight perm is a 4 hour long process & my cc# is needed just in case i cancel. my heart sank and i felt disgusted. this lady has waxed my chocha and she doesnt trust me enough to keep an appointment? oh hell no.

so.. what do y'all think of cancellation fees? i have NEVER ever encountered this in a salon/day spa. and ive been to quite a few. my issue is having complete strangers have my cc# for their perusal "just in case". its not as if i'm booking a flight. i feel that cc# info is encrypted & any hacker can get it . the percentage of credit card frauds are soaring, as if you haven't heard. so yeah, im very iffy about it.

so whats your opinion on it & would you give your cc# over the phone just to secure a haircut, or whatever salon appointment?

P*I*M*P
July 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
post pix when ur done

baliwala
July 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Seems legit.

j_a_l
July 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
i don't see what the problem is

spartan002
July 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
it is wise, if you have been using the store services for a time.

crazy-in-love
July 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hell no, that makes no sense, first do the service, pay later.

BlazinDj
July 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
its fine, all major credit card companies are great at funding money for cc fraud.

Hello Kitty
July 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM
me thinks wiv all the cc fraud + scams ya shouldnt give it over the phone. thatsa dumb policy of theres. me thinks they gona lose clients.

post picshors of ya hair laters! :D

spartan002
July 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hell no, that makes no sense, first do the service, pay later.

cil thats how buuizzdnezz wokinzz. you offer some kind of fee for the store to hold an item/appointment for you. try reserving some demanded item/service i guarantee to you they'll ask for your credit card.

spartan002
July 6th, 2009, 05:30 PM
me thinks wiv all the cc fraud + scams ya shouldnt give it over the phone. thatsa dumb policy of theres. me thinks they gona lose clients.

post picshors of ya hair laters! :D

not really the new mastercard is virtually impossible to use without authorization.

Hello Kitty
July 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
not really the new mastercard is virtually impossible to use without authorization.

is that the one where ya gotta put in ya pin code. i saw in a forum that the one in asia even has a thumbnail size pic of the person. :shock:

spartan002
July 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM
is that the one where ya gotta put in ya pin code. i saw in a forum that the one in asia even has a thumbnail size pic of the person. :shock:

yup and it has a chip, most companies will automatically cancel your card if they see it being used a lot. by a lot i mean a lot of purchases.

crazy-in-love
July 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM
cil thats how buuizzdnezz wokinzz. you offer some kind of fee for the store to hold an item/appointment for you. try reserving some demanded item/service i guarantee to you they'll ask for your credit card.
That is true, I still don't like the idea. My credit card has been stolen before and it was online, I just hate giving out my credit card info on the phone or Internet.

Indian_NY
July 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Its safe, plus you know who you are giving the number to. If anything goes bad, the CC company will take care of it.

illin
July 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Use your own judgement, in this case it's fine.

HU55AIN
July 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM
The most stupid way to give details is over the phone. Actually most frauds happen through call centres. Where people talk to you and ask for the cc number, then repeat the number and have their fone on record!

Yeah you Fraudy Indians. call centres :no:

spartan002
July 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
That is true, I still don't like the idea. My credit card has been stolen before and it was online, I just hate giving out my credit card info on the phone or Internet.

then theres seriously something wrong with your credit card bank, like i said earlier most bank automatically cancel your card if its gets used a lot and then they call you. try the new mastercard.

theycallmerush
July 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
just like you would need a cc to book a room at a hotel. same deal. you need a cc to book an apppointment. its business.

random guy
July 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM
when i went to miami i was like wtf these mans still swipe credit cards and no pin required! they dont even read the chips down there even if u have a chip and pin card, still swipe the card! In london virtually everyone has a chip and pin credit card...we started using chip and pin probably 5 or more years ago. No wonder there is so much fraud in usa... its so easy! u guys r way outdated. I felt insecure using my credit card in USA since theres so much more security in the UK