PDA

View Full Version : Oddiyanam, belly/waist chain

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 11:29 AM
Oddiyanam (Odiyanam) is a belly/waist that was worn as a regular part of adornment in ancient India (Wearing of this type of waist-chain has also been traced back to some parts of Africa). Some have speculated that the original intention of this jewelry was designed to hold up a sari and keep the spine straightened, but the most agreed upon theory of use was that it was worn as a waistline trimmer. The odiyanam would be fastened around the waist after the wearer had sucked in their stomach to create a slimmer waist appearance. The tightness of the odiyanam supposedly would stop the waist from expanding any larger and create a more womanly proportional body by keep the midsection slim and guiding the hips to become larger. A small waist and large hips was considered a sign of beauty and womanhood in olden days (still is in my book :) )

Do you think desi women should carry on the tradition of wearing odiyanam, or just stick to regular workout routines only to control body-weight? I think the younger women should get into wearing them again. Not only do they supposedly provide benefits to one's body, but they're also quite attractive to look at. It's also a way of connecting to a deep cultural beauty tradition. Is there any reason that you think young women shouldn't adorn them today?

Here are a couple of websites that show some examples of waist-belts. Feel free to post your own, as some of you may not think these as wearable or attractive.
http://www.grtjewels.com/product.asp?cat_id=3&sub_catid=15
http://www.totaram.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=GV106&Category_Code=GV

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Do any females here wear a waist-chain? Not necessarily the older, bulkier ones, but the ones that you would wear underneath your clothes and next to the skin. Janet Jackson was wearing one in her video for the song "Again".

tamil_desi
July 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM
Waist chain would look hot, but only as a fashion deal, not as a hip shaper. That seems sort of wayy too old school.

But it's not like many people will actually see the chain except...ummm.. :neutral:

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Waist chain would look hot, but only as a fashion deal, not as a hip shaper. That seems sort of wayy too old school.

But it's not like many people will actually see the chain except...ummm.. :neutral:

lol. Trying to say something about my age with that comment? Nah, man, if they wore one, it'd be shaping their waist anyway wouldn't it? So what's the difference? I think it's a nice addition to a female's everyday attire, even if it's not seen. At the most, it'll be a confidence booster for her. I think girls like to wear things of that nature. It makes them feel....sexy? :neutral:

tamil_desi
July 1st, 2006, 11:52 AM
lol. Trying to say something about my age with that comment? Nah, man, if they wore one, it'd be shaping their waist anyway wouldn't it? So what's the difference? I think it's a nice addition to a female's everyday attire, even if it's not seen. At the most, it'll be a confidence booster for her. I think girls like to wear things of that nature. It makes them feel....sexy? :neutral:

Yeah..but I mean like. They wouldn't have to wear it everyday. Like a braclet or something. :dunno:

I have this visual of a belly dancer now :dunno:

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah..but I mean like. They wouldn't have to wear it everyday. Like a braclet or something. :dunno:

I have this visual of a belly dancer now :dunno:

Hahaha. My fiance wears one. She has since she was 15-years-old. Her mother made her start doing it as a means of weight control. Her mom informed her that her grandmothers before her used to wear them and never had a problem with maintaining their pre-pregnancy physiques. So far I can say that, even if it's not true about the waist trimming, I'm inclined to believe it does something for the figure. My fiance's waist is small in comparison to her hips and torso. It looks nice. She does wear the oddiyanam everyday though. It's 24K so it'll never rust or turn green. She has a variety of them that she switches every now and then, and sometimes she wears a belt chain on the outside of her saris when she wants a break from the chain against her skin...So I don't know. For the most part, if they are worn in this day in time, they'll probably be sported as a fashion accessory only and nothing more....only to be laid down and quickly forgotten like all the other trends.

selina_786
July 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
LOL how the hell does that keep the back straight? Yea its a fashion ornament if you put it like that but straightening spine LOL Gosh, some of you ppl fall for anything. It's so thin and that crap goes for cheap in the UK.

I'd rather you talk about a girdle yo, rather more reliable, that.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 12:07 PM
LOL how the hell does that keep the back straight? Yea its a fashion ornament if you put it like that but straightening spine LOL Gosh, some of you ppl fall for anything. It's so thin and that crap goes for cheap in the UK.

Obviously the uses are based on the ancient rituals of the time. I doubt that 5,000 years ago they had scientific evidence to backup their claims to what health benefits certain jewelry brought to the body :no:. In fact, in most of the jewelry that Indian women wear from the nose studs to maatals, there is some kind of ancient healing or positive health belief linked to each piece. I don't really think it's anything to be made fun of though... It's a part of our history. Very interesting if I may say so, but each to his own. :neutral:

selina_786
July 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Obviously the uses are based on the ancient rituals of the time. I doubt that 5,000 years ago they had scientific evidence to backup their claims to what benefits certain jewelry brought to the body. In fact, in most of the jewelry that Indian women wear from the nose studs to maatals, there is some kind of ancient healing or positive health belief linked to each piece. I don't really think it's anything to be made fun of though... It's a part of our history. Very interesting if I may say so, but each to his own. :neutral:
:lol: Yea I know what you mean. It's there yo, I'm just not part of it.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 12:10 PM
:lol: Yea I know what you mean. It's there yo, I'm just not part of it.

lol whatever smartass. Give people, other than yourself, credit for having a brain. ;)

selina_786
July 1st, 2006, 01:04 PM
lol whatever smartass. Give people, other than yourself, credit for having a brain. ;)
:lol: I don't doubt.

Btw - that was pretty mean and more of an accusation. :(

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 01:07 PM
:lol: I don't doubt.

Btw - that was pretty mean and more of an accusation. :(

No less than the way you come off at times, my dear. :eek: However, if you take it as a mean accusation, then I digress.

selina_786
July 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM
No less than the way you come off at times, my dear. :eek: However, if you take it as a mean accusation, then I digress.

Really? I guess I'm quite opinionated and that really gets to some ppl even though at times my attempts are often misunderstood.

Umm Yea that kinda goes with why you were so mean to me, defensive shots. Man it always happens to me. :p

Anyway I'm kidding. You are a good poster even though I've always thought you might be a female especially because you seem to natter alot.

Interesting thread.. lets back right on track. lol.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM
Really? I guess I'm quite opinionated and that really gets to some ppl even though at times my attempts are often misunderstood.

Umm Yea that kinda goes with why you were so mean to me, defensive shots. Man it always happens to me. :p

Anyway I'm kidding. You are a good poster even though I've always thought you might be a female especially because you seem to natter alot.

Interesting thread.. lets back right on track. lol.

I don't think I was being defensive, I was just calling out what I thought you were being at the time. So you've always thought I was female because I natter alot? Rightttt...so just because my posts are normally more than one sentence long you question my gender identity. Really, Selina, lol where does it end? :neutral: If I don't act like most guys here, I'd say it's due to an age gap, and the lengths I go through to attempt to respect the person I'm commenting to. When you get older, saying "F*ck you, you stupid b*tch" to someone I'm irritated with just isn't becoming. Diplomacy is the way to go. :D

selina_786
July 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM
I don't think I was being defensive, I was just calling out what I thought you were being at the time. So you've always thought I was female because I natter alot? Rightttt...so just because my posts are normally more than one sentence long you question my gender identity. Really, Selina, lol where does it end? :neutral: If I don't act like most guys here, I'd say it's due to an age gap, and the lengths I go through to attempt to respect the person I'm commenting to. When you get older, saying "F*ck you, you stupid b*tch" to someone I'm irritated with just isn't becoming. Diplomacy is the way to go. :D
It was meant to be a good thing. Alot of ppl here tend to appear as being the 'posh' beings with all their fancy english but don't make any sense whereas you are a pretty articulate poster. DAMN YOU. I wasn't trying to offend you, I like you as a poster... but since you tried to e -charge me up, I thought heyy why not. lol... it's a really hot day and boring.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM
It was meant to be a good thing. Alot of ppl here tend to appear as being the 'posh' beings with all their fancy english but don't make any sense whereas you are a pretty articulate poster. DAMN YOU. I wasn't trying to offend you, I like you as a poster... but since you tried to e -charge me up, I thought heyy why not. lol... it's a really hot day and boring.

:yes: I have seen this phenomenon. That's the desi community for you. You will always have those who put on heirs and pretend to be what they are not. lol. Don't get frustrated with me. I wasn't so much offended as I was curious about what made you draw on your conclusions. I get you, and yes it is a hot day. It's only boring if you choose to do nothing with it, though. Every Saturday I head to the local Indian theater. I'm thinking of doing that now. Maybe there's something there that I haven't seen. :neutral:

coconutty
July 1st, 2006, 01:42 PM
i used to wear that as a kid... and it had a lil dangly part which i used to pretend was a we-we :ugh: I was a weird child

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM
i used to wear that as a kid... and it had a lil dangly part which i used to pretend was a we-we :ugh: I was a weird child

lol how interesting.

selina_786
July 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM
:yes: I have seen this phenomenon. That's the desi community for you. You will always have those who put on heirs and pretend to be what they are not. lol. Don't get frustrated with me. I wasn't so much offended as I was curious about what made you draw on your conclusions. I get you, and yes it is a hot day. It's only boring if you choose to do nothing with it, though. Every Saturday I head to the local Indian theater. I'm thinking of doing that now. Maybe there's something there that I haven't seen. :neutral:
I have abit of work to do, that is why I'm stuck on this comp. Also it's way too hot.. like the sun is on full whack and we dare go out and try to face it... it will pierce right through us. I hate this kind of heat. :no:
Indian theatre? lol enjoy the show.I haven't watched any new Indian movies in perhaps months or so.
I'm gone too, may as well take a trip to the park lol.

Sapnokirani916
July 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM
y dance team wers them sometimes....... when u can see our waists

i wear with my saris

ItsAllFobLuv
July 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
y dance team wers them sometimes....... when u can see our waists

i wear with my saris

Hmmm that makes sense. I know that dancers of Bharatnatyam almost always wear them as a part of their dance costume.

tamil_desi
July 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM

:rofl: OMG...:no:

coconutty
July 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM
:rofl: OMG...:no:
:mrhappy:

Sapnokirani916
July 1st, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hmmm that makes sense. I know that dancers of Bharatnatyam almost always wear them as a part of their dance costume.

well most of us r paki so we dont do Bharatnatyam...... i wish we could do something more traditional but they just wanna dance like kalia so i have to go with the majority and do wat they wanna do.....

bad_cheque
July 1st, 2006, 11:34 PM
Oddiyanam is worn on special occasions by girls in south India. Either it is worn during dance (Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi etc) or brides who's family is very rich. It does look vulgar and gaudy on brides.

Canadian_jatti
July 1st, 2006, 11:48 PM
thats ridiculous as a fashion statement yeah ok but for lukin skinner thas messed up :rant:

selina_786
July 1st, 2006, 11:49 PM
thats ridiculous as a fashion statement yeah ok but for lukin skinner thas messed up :rant:
..and apparently it straightens the back up :lol:

ezbreezyfresh
July 2nd, 2006, 12:03 AM

well it does help keep the back straight because in order to make the chain stay in a proper position you would have to tuck your tummy in and keep your posture straight!

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:03 AM

lol I don't think it's messed up. Many cultures have certain beliefs related to the attire they wear. There's even a history behind the sari that most desi women adorn. Bottom line is, the beliefs may seem a little strange in today's time because science has advanced and modern man can understand alot more mysteries that used to puzzle the ancients. In Ayurveda it was even acceptable at one point to ingest lead as a means of a health supplement. Many things have changed; however some groups of people still regard the jewelry that Indian women wear to be sacred and view them as being complemetary to the female's person. I can understand the apparent "silliness" of the ideas to someone who has never really learned about this aspect of southeast asian culture. These practices, although spread among all parts of India, are most commonly seen in the southern parts. If you or your family are from the northern tip, it's possible that you've never heard of these traditions or understood the meanings behind them.

PreciousPari
July 2nd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Whats the yarn of thread tied around a lil boy's waist called? I forgot.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:08 AM
Oddiyanam is worn on special occasions by girls in south India. Either it is worn during dance (Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi etc) or brides who's family is very rich. It does look vulgar and gaudy on brides.

I've seen the ones that are worn on special occasions, and yea some them of are gaudy and not practical for everyday use. However, there are ones that more resemble a large chainlink bracelet (like the one my fiance wears), and they are worn everyday underneath the clothes. They started coming into vogue to keep the tradition of wearing oddiyanam alive, but to make it easier for the wearer to carry on about daily activities and changing fashions.

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
well it does help keep the back straight because in order to make the chain stay in a proper position you would have to tuck your tummy in and keep your posture straight!
Really? Fat ppl shouldn't even be wearing pretty stuff like belly chains. No offence to yourself. :p

The chain is always in a proper position, hips are alot wider than the stomach itself so it can't fall off anyway, So, I don't understand why we have to have a certain positioning for belly chains. If it needs to stay put in one place then theres the tight belly chains that are like 'stuck' 'stayed put' 'snuggled' around belly. Loose belly chains are supposed to have some movement, they still won't fall off unless ofcourse the hook is damaged or bla bla.

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:12 AM
lol I don't think it's messed up. Many cultures have certain beliefs related to the attire they wear. There's even a history behind the sari that most desi women adorn. Bottom line is, the beliefs may seem a little strange in today's time because science has advanced and modern man can understand alot more mysteries that used to puzzle the ancients. In Ayurveda it was even acceptable at one point to ingest lead as a means of a health supplement. Many things have changed; however some groups of people still regard the jewelry that Indian women wear to be sacred and view them as being complemetary to the female's person. I can understand the apparent "silliness" of the ideas to someone who has never really learned about this aspect of southeast asian culture. These practices, although spread among all parts of India, are most commonly seen in the southern parts. If you or your family are from the northern tip, it's possible that you've never heard of these traditions or understood the meanings behind them.
Umm no, it may be a tradition for southeast asian culture but I was only using some common sense. Thanx.
It may be their tradition from old times, but that doesn't mean I can't give my own opinion over whether I am in agreement to all the 'benefits' of so called belly chains. I never tried to mock anyones culture.

bad_cheque
I've seen the ones that are worn on special occasions, and yea some them of are gaudy and not practical for everyday use. However, there are ones that more resemble a large chainlink bracelet (like the one my fiance wears), and they are worn everyday underneath the clothes. They started coming into vogue to keep the tradition of wearing oddiyanam alive, but to make it easier for the wearer to carry on about daily activities and changing fashions.
To tell you and answer PreciousPari, its called an arinjanam. At least that's the word in Malayalam. Oddiyanam is the thick one.

ezbreezyfresh
Really? Fat ppl shouldn't even be wearing pretty stuff like belly chains. No offence to yourself. :p

The chain is always in a proper position, hips are alot wider than the stomach itself so it can't fall off anyway, So, I don't understand why we have to have a certain positioning for belly chains. If it needs to stay put in one place then theres the tight belly chains that are like 'stuck' 'stayed put' 'snuggled' around belly. Loose belly chains are supposed to have some movement, they still won't fall off unless ofcourse the hook is damaged or bla bla.

if you wear it from such a young age i dont think you would really gain any weight.and fyi im not southie and we have no such custom in my house where girls have to wear this but i know this stuff..lol

and i dont mean it would fall off..but if u have a little pooch the chain would get in between all the fat or w/e..get wha i mean?

ItsAllFobLuv

Hmmm, I could see where they come that conclusion now. Thanks for the clarification. A person can't very well slouch if they're tensing their ab muscles to suck their stomaches in.

PreciousPari
July 2nd, 2006, 12:14 AM
To tell you and answer PreciousPari, its called an arinjanam. At least that's the word in Malayalam. Oddiyanam is the think one.

O yeah! Arinjanam. Its weird cause my cousins in India used to wear them.

ezbreezyfresh
July 2nd, 2006, 12:14 AM
Hmmm, I could see where they come that conclusion now. Thanks for the clarification. A person can't very well slouch if they're tensing their ab muscles to suck their stomaches in.

yup!! god i have so much knowledge it's not even funny...haha jk :)

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:15 AM
if you wear it from such a young age i dont think you would really gain any weight.and fyi im not southie and we have no such custom in my house where girls have to wear this but i know this stuff..lol

and i dont mean it would fall off..but if u have a little pooch the chain would get in between all the fat or w/e..get wha i mean?
Yea, I know it can get inbetween fat rolls.. thats with slim girls that sit down too lol.

...Yea I think I know what you mean.. fatties (Like real big ones) gotta keep their posture straight whilst wearing those chains.

ezbreezyfresh
July 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
Yea, I know it can get inbetween fat rolls.. thats with slim girls that sit down too lol.

...Yea I think I know what you mean.. fatties (Like real big ones) gotta keep their posture straight whilst wearing those chains.

ya i've always wanted to be able to wear those chains , well i used to when i was little but now my fat rolls wont let me hahah

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
O yeah! Arinjanam. Its weird cause my cousins in India used to wear them.
Aren't you a dogra or something? I mean Punjabi?

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:19 AM
Umm no, it may be a tradition for southeast asian culture but I was only using some common sense. Thanx.
It may be their tradition from old times, but that doesn't mean I can't give my own opinion over whether I am in agreement to all the 'benefits' of so called belly chains. I never tried to mock anyones culture.

Selina, you need to relax, seriously. Sorry to tell you, but you do appear to be mocking. It's not upsetting me, but I do find it a little disrespectul. It doesn't matter, really. If you don't agree with the tradition, then that point has already been expressed thoroughly on your end, but you keep responding as if you're trying to refute the whole idea. I'm not one to tell that you're using common sense and therefore cannot believe in such a custom. If it seems that ridiculous to you then I believe you'd need to get a hold of some type of time travel device and go hold palaver with the ones who started the whole thing. My thread is simply made to ask whether one believes it should still be worn as part of desi attire, and to share a little history for those who weren't familiar with what it was. It's not a debate. :neutral:

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/91/db/d6_1_b.JPG

I'm sure this piece of stringy chain will surely straighten my posture up yo... I might even lose abit of weight. lol.

PreciousPari
July 2nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
Aren't you a dogra or something? I mean Punjabi?

Im full Punjabi yes but my nana Ji was part Dogra. Even though Im Punjabi, Im not actually a Sikh. Im more Hindu because I belong to a lower caste of punjabis that were actually born Hindus. So a lot of our customs that we follow are Hindu.

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Selina, you need to relax, seriously. Sorry to tell you, but you do appear to be mocking. It's not upsetting me, but I do find it a little disrespectul. It doesn't matter, really. If you don't agree with the tradition, then that point has already been expressed thoroughly on your end, but you keep responding as if you're trying to refute the whole idea. I'm not one to tell that you're using common sense and therefore cannot believe in such a custom. If it seems that ridiculous to you then I believe you'd need to get a hold of some type of time travel device and go hold palaver with the ones who started the whole thing. My thread is simply made to ask whether one believes it should still be worn as part of desi attire, and to share a little history for those who weren't familiar with what it was. It's not a debate. :neutral:Ummm.. now you are just being silly.
Did I even in any post mention any cultures? Did you even see me try to relate any of my so called 'debates' to your culture?... wth.
I read the part where you mentioned belly chains straighten the back up and just L-O-L'd, thats all. Jeez.

I think you should relax and I'm not even trying to be funny.

First of all, can you post a few pix up of these belly chains for me to determine whether we are talking about the same type of belly chains to perhaps drop this confusion of yours.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:28 AM
To tell you and answer PreciousPari, its called an arinjanam. At least that's the word in Malayalam. Oddiyanam is the thick one.

I've heard of the term arinjanam before, but I've always heard the thick and the thin ones referred to as oddiyanam, whether they're worn during special ocassions or not. I suppose with different cultures it's referred to in different ways. All meaning the same thing. I googled your spelling of the word, and only came up with a couple of web pages. I did see the reference where it said that was the word for a gold waist chain in Malayalam is Arinjanam. There must be a different spelling of the term, just as there are a couple variations for oddiyanam. Sometimes one yields more results than the other.

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 12:29 AM
Im full Punjabi yes but my nana Ji was part Dogra. Even though Im Punjabi, Im not actually a Sikh. Im more Hindu because I belong to a lower caste of punjabis that were actually born Hindus. So a lot of our customs that we follow are Hindu.
Hey a lot of Punjabis are not Sikhs. About 45% of those Punjabis in Indian Punjab are Hindus and if you add the Punjabi refugees who settled in Delhi, it would be 50/50.

Yeah so how come you have cousins who wear arinjanams?

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 12:30 AM

I'm sure this piece of stringy chain will surely straighten my posture up yo... I might even lose abit of weight. lol.
no no no.. the westernized style of arinjanam is strictly for show.. the indian one is thicker and sturdier... I remember as a kid, when i exhaled it hurt.. so i'd have to suck it in

jumpn jza
July 2nd, 2006, 12:31 AM
oddiyanam sounds like the mallu word for "need to break"

ezbreezyfresh
July 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM

lol your saying that your not mocking then what is this? and this is the modern version of it used mainly for fashion! the indian one is thicker

oh and regargless it looks hot and accentuates a womans waistline..

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
no no no.. the westernized style of arinjanam is strictly for show.. the indian one is thicker and sturdier... I remember as a kid, when i exhaled it hurt.. so i'd have to suck it in
Yea I thought so. I think I seen some very traditional Indian women wear it when they do their religious dance or something along those lines... gosh I have to watch what and how I say everything now.

Now those aren't belly chains, clearly they aren't 'chains'.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
Ummm.. now you are just being silly.
Did I even in any post mention any cultures? Did you even see me try to relate any of my so called 'debates' to your culture?... wth.
I read the part where you mentioned belly chains straighten the back up and just L-O-L'd, thats all. Jeez.

I think you should relax and I'm not even trying to be funny.
First of all, can you post a few pix up of these belly chains for me to determine whether we are talking about the same type of belly chains to perhaps drop this confusion of yours.

You can view several different versions of oddiyanam on the net...from the old school thick ones, to the new age waist-chains. I'm always relaxed. Internet flames don't excite me in the least. They either get minimal responses or get ignored. You get carried away sometimes in all your haste to get your point across and I don't even think you realize it. Seriously, the personal bashing, and finger-pointing gets old quick. I care not to participate. You may continue alone if you like, but I think a solo dancer quickly grows tired of a one person dance routine. ;)

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:35 AM
lol your saying that your not mocking then what is this? and this is the modern version of it used mainly for fashion! the indian one is thicker

This is the western version so how am I mocking their tradition and beliefs?

This is a real belly chain... thats called something else.

PreciousPari
July 2nd, 2006, 12:37 AM
Hey a lot of Punjabis are not Sikhs. About 45% of those Punjabis in Indian Punjab are Hindus and if you add the Punjabi refugees who settled in Delhi, it would be 50/50.

Yeah so how come you have cousins who wear arinjanams?

Yeah I know. But I mentioned it because it has a lot to do with how our customs differ from other punjabis ya know? You see, my mom's family is more, I guess you can say Punjabi Sikh/Dogra and my dad's family are more Hindu and were around south indians when they were in Fiji. My dad was born and raised there so everyone he associated with were south indians.

As far as my cousins wearing arinjanams, I honestly don't know if they were following a Hindu custom or a punjabi one. Maybe there is a Punjabi name for it. I don't know. I'll ask my mom about that one. I just remember seeing it on them when they were 2 yrs old and it was a black thread with lil beads on it. I was told that lil boys wore it until puberty was over.

ezbreezyfresh
July 2nd, 2006, 12:37 AM

ugh w/e.. and the indian one is also a chain but a thicker one with designs and stuff!

shady punjabi
July 2nd, 2006, 12:38 AM

Stop arguing with idiots!

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:38 AM

:werd: I think she's just trying to prove her point that there are no benefits to wearing a oddiyanam....back-straightening or otherwise.

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 12:39 AM
Yea I thought so. I think I seen some very traditional Indian women wear it when they do their religious dance or something along those lines... gosh I have to watch what and how I say everything now.

Now those aren't belly chains, clearly they aren't 'chains'.the stuff they wear during dance is really dressy. http://www.thehorizons.com/silambam/images/manjula.jpg http://www.totaram.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/gv102f.jpg

the one i think everyone's talking about is the metal rope thingy. it's got nothing pretty about it... it was always under our clothes.

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 12:39 AM
Selina don't worry, you can also buy a good gold oddiyanam. You just need the money. ;)

ezbreezyfresh
July 2nd, 2006, 12:40 AM
:werd: I think she's just trying to prove her point that there are no benefits to wearing a oddiyanam....back-straightening or otherwise.

oddiyanam makes you suck the tummy in and in order to that you have to have a straight posture....gosh i dont think she can prove anything.. :rolleyes:

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:40 AM
Yeah I know. But I mentioned it because it has a lot to do with how our customs differ from other punjabis ya know? You see, my mom's family is more, I guess you can say Punjabi Sikh/Dogra and my dad's family are more Hindu and were around south indians when they were in Fiji. My dad was born and raised there so everyone he associated with were south indians.

As far as my cousins wearing arinjanams, I honestly don't know if they were following a Hindu custom or a punjabi one. Maybe there is a Punjabi name for it. I don't know. I'll ask my mom about that one. I just remember seeing it on them when they were 2 yrs old and it was a black thread with lil beads on it. I was told that lil boys wore it until puberty was over.

I'm Punjabi, yet many woman in my family wear oddiyanam. :neutral:

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:41 AM
You can view several different versions of oddiyanam on the net...from the old school thick ones, to the new age waist-chains. I'm always relaxed. Internet flames don't excite me in the least. They either get minimal responses or get ignored. You get carried away sometimes in all your haste to get your point across and I don't even think you realize it. Seriously, the personal bashing, and finger-pointing gets old quick. I care not to participate. You may continue alone if you like, but I think a solo dancer quickly grows tired of a one person dance routine. ;)
You seriously are very silly... like I said I wasn't trying to mock anyones religion or you in that case. Neither was I trying to flame you, if you go back a few posts, you can see the first person to flame was actually yourself so the bolded part seems more like a copout which really was unnecessary...as I only made a point which ofcourse you disagree with.

ezbreezyfresh
July 2nd, 2006, 12:41 AM
Selina don't worry, you can also buy a good gold oddiyanam. You just need the money. ;)

:rofl:

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:42 AM
Stop arguing with idiots!
I think you're right. :neutral:

PreciousPari
July 2nd, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm Punjabi, yet many woman in my family wear oddiyanam. :neutral:

Yeah see! But then whats it called in Punjabi? :think:
I can't think of the name and its bothering me! :anger:

PreciousPari
July 2nd, 2006, 12:44 AM

LOL

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
the stuff they wear during dance is really dressy. http://www.thehorizons.com/silambam/images/manjula.jpg http://www.totaram.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/gv102f.jpg

the one i think everyone's talking about is the metal rope thingy. it's got nothing pretty about it... it was always under our clothes.Yea I'v only seen the dance ones. Those are like belly kharas.

They look pretty expensive?

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:45 AM
You seriously are very silly... like I said I wasn't trying to mock anyones religion or you in that case. Neither was I trying to flame you, if you go back a few posts, you can see the first person to flame was actually yourself so the bolded part seems more like a copout which really was unnecessary...as I only made a point which ofcourse you disagree with.

I'm supposedly the silly one, yet you're the one who keeps arguing and calling names....Your posts are becoming more telling by the minute. Name calling when you get angry should have went out style in grade school, Selina. There is not a silly bone in my body, trust. ;)

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:45 AM
I don't dance. Neither would it look pretty on me. .. but yea okay :rolleyes:

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 12:46 AM
I'm supposedly the silly one, yet you're the one who keeps arguing and calling names....Your posts are becoming more telling by the minute. Name calling when you get angry should have went out style in grade school, Selina. There is not a silly bone in my body, trust. ;)
:no: :no:

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah see! But then whats it called in Punjabi? :think:
I can't think of the name and its bothering me! :anger:

I don't know, I've heard different names over the years. The one I most commonly hear it referred to as is oddiyanam. If you remember the name, please post it here.

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 12:47 AM
the stuff they wear during dance is really dressy.

the one i think everyone's talking about is the metal rope thingy. it's got nothing pretty about it... it was always under our clothes.
Good work :D

I think a Bharatanatyam dress is incomplete without the oddiyanam. The whole bharatanatyam dress costs a lot.

I have a black thread arinjanam with a locket that contains a prayer to god. It is done in temples under the tantric traditions. But it remains under the dress.

PreciousPari
July 2nd, 2006, 12:47 AM
I don't know, I've heard different names over the years. The one I most commonly hear it referred to as is oddiyanam. If you remember the name, please post it here.

Im gonna ask my mom when she gets home! Then I'll post it :yes:

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:48 AM

:lol:...Behave.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:49 AM
Im gonna ask my mom when she gets home! Then I'll post it :yes:

Good deal.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 12:51 AM

I think a Bharatanatyam dress is incomplete without the oddiyanam. The whole bharatanatyam dress costs a lot.

I have a black thread arinjanam with a locket that contains a prayer to god. It is done in temples under the tantric traditions. But it remains under the dress.

I don't think the dance fit would look complete either without it. All the accessories worn during a performance are necessary for the beauty and overall feel of the dance itself...in my opinion.

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 01:01 AM
Yea I'v only seen the dance ones. Those are like belly kharas.

They look pretty expensive?
blah.. i wouldn't know.. i never took professional dance classes :( the only time i really see it (besides during dance) is what a bride wears for her reception

Sapnokirani916
July 2nd, 2006, 01:03 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/SOnirani916/b3.jpg

$74

www.shalincraft.com

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 01:03 AM
blah.. i wouldn't know.. i never took professional dance classes :( the only time i really see it (besides during dance) is what a bride wears for her reception
Eh? I've never seen an indian bride with one of them on.. I guess I'm too busy looking at how perfect the makeup is LOL. I'd love to wear 1 on my wedding :D Belly chain I mean, slimmer one.

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 01:06 AM

mine was made of silver... my mom actually kept it. but i didn't have anything religions on it.. i just had an upside down cone thingy.

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 01:06 AM
Eh? I've never seen an indian bride with one of them on.. I guess I'm too busy looking at how perfect the makeup is LOL. I'd love to wear 1 on my wedding :D Belly chain I mean, slimmer one.
It's more popular among South Indians...the richer ones. I kind of remember christian brides wearing that too.

But it gets worn only for the wedding and never again lol

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 01:08 AM
Eh? I've never seen an indian bride with one of them on.. I guess I'm too busy looking at how perfect the makeup is LOL. I'd love to wear 1 on my wedding :D Belly chain I mean, slimmer one.i wish i had my cousin's wedding pix.. most of them wore one.. but it was thin and cute... less gaudy than the stuff i posted...

like this :

http://www.acclaimimages.net/_gallery/_SM/0017-0311-1520-3118_SM.jpg

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
i wish i had my cousin's wedding pix.. most of them wore one.. but it was thin and cute... less gaudy than the stuff i posted like this :

That's pretty... Karisma Kapoor wore it alot in Bollywood films back in her good times lol.

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
mine was made of silver... my mom actually kept it. but i didn't have anything religions on it.. i just had an upside down cone thingy.
Yeah that is worn when you are very young lol

selina_786
July 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM
It's more popular among South Indians...the richer ones. I kind of remember christian brides wearing that too.

Yea.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM

The bulky festive looking one may not be worn on a regular basis, but I've even seen women wear them on the outside of their saris in Indian. Desis who live in more westernized countries will probably only wear them once in a lifetime that's during their wedding, or they do it often if they participate in Bharatnatyam, but not so in India. The waist chain is normally worn all the time...if it's being worn for traditional purposes that is.

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 01:12 AM
That's pretty... Karisma Kapoor wore it alot in Bollywood films back in her good times lol.
she has really nice abs.. i bet she wore a short top too..

my cousins all wear sari.. i think it looks weird over a sari

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 01:12 AM
i wish i had my cousin's wedding pix.. most of them wore one.. but it was thin and cute... less gaudy than the stuff i posted...

like this :

That's a nice one.

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
Yeah that is worn when you are very young lol
lol i wore mine til i was like 5. i even had attachments to make it longer :lol:

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 01:14 AM

even the manthrakodi doesn't get worn again after the wedding

bad_cheque
The bulky festive looking one may not be worn on a regular basis, but I've even seen women wear them on the outside of their saris in Indian. Desis who live in more westernized countries will probably only wear them once in a lifetime that's during their wedding, or they do it often if they participate in Bharatnatyam, but not so in India. The waist chain is normally worn all the time...if it's being worn for traditional purposes that is.
I am from India currently in the US.

The heavy one is no longer worn regularly. The light one is also not worn much by girls.

If you walk around with a gold oddiyanam, people will think you are crazy and you probably won't survive the thieves. Oddiyanam has a lot of gold and weighs quite a bit.

coconutty
manthrakodi costs like $500 too :no:

RDX
kinda like keepin em on a leash .... :p

selina_786
she has really nice abs.. i bet she wore a short top too..

my cousins all wear sari.. i think it looks weird over a sari
Yea short tops and toned abs. :D

Yea it looks tacky. looks better against skin also.. small and neat..

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
manthrakodi costs like $500 too :no:
Marriages are really expensive and mallus are crazy about it. :no:

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 01:21 AM
Marriages are really expensive and mallus are crazy about it. :no:
UGH... tell me about it.. my dad went NUTS during my sister's wedding.. and he's looking forward to mine... i'm not. :neutral: i'd rather have an aneursym than have him plan my wedding

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 01:23 AM
I am from India currently in the US.

The heavy one is no longer worn regularly. The light one is also not worn much by girls.

If you walk around with a gold oddiyanam, people will think you are crazy and you probably won't survive the thieves. Oddiyanam has a lot of gold and weighs quite a bit.

My homeland is India also, I'm not a U.S. born, second-hand culture type. I've seen India with my own eyes and lived there. I said the large ones that are liken to the ones worn at weddings are not regularly worn any more, but I still see them on the outside of saris. I've never ever seen a woman get a weird look for wearing one. The light ones are actually worn by a lot of young women. There's no reason to keep stating this over and over....I've said my piece, you can feel free to keep typing that it's not worn on a regular basis, and attempt to google more information to prove me wrong if you'd like...but personal knowledge goes a lot further in my book than internet references. That said, you cannot tell me what my eyes seen, nor can I tell you what the custom is in your part of the country if I've not experienced this for myself. Trying to tell someone they are wrong when you don't know of their experiences is futile.

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 01:23 AM
UGH... tell me about it.. my dad went NUTS during my sister's wedding.. and he's looking forward to mine... i'm not. :neutral: i'd rather have an aneursym than have him plan my wedding

It's the one big occasion lol.

Will it be in Kerala? I love the kalyana food :D

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 01:24 AM

Whoa, it must be a real pain. :neutral:

bad_cheque
July 2nd, 2006, 01:26 AM
My homeland is India also, I'm not a U.S. born, second-hand culture type. I've seen India with my own eyes and lived there. I said the large ones that are liken to the ones worn at weddings are not regularly worn any more, but I still see them on the outside of saris. I've never ever seen a woman get a weird look for wearing one. The light ones are actually worn by a lot of young women. There's no reason to keep stating this over and over....I've said my piece, you can feel free to keep typing that it's not worn on a regular basis, and attempt to google more information to prove me wrong if you'd like...but personal knowledge goes a lot further in my book than internet references. That said, you cannot tell me what my eyes seen, nor can I tell you what the custom is in your part of the country if I've not experienced this for myself. Trying to tell someone they are wrong, when you don't know of their experiences is futile.
You are getting shrill over nothing. Maybe because i come from kerala which is more westernised than perhaps any other part of India (except the metros) could be skewing my views. Yes Tamil brahmins and older women do tend to wear them.

ItsAllFobLuv
July 2nd, 2006, 01:31 AM
You are getting shrill over nothing. Maybe because i come from kerala which is more westernised than perhaps any other part of India (except the metros) could be skewing my views. Yes Tamil brahmins and older women do tend to wear them.

lol Spare me the ASSumptions. I've not gotten shrill over anything you said. I'm just not going to agree that it's a long-gone custom, when I've seen that it's still very much alive. Yes, Kerala is a bit westernized, so that might explain why traditional oddiyanam and smaller waist chains are no longer seen as a part of regular dress.

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 02:06 AM

It's the one big occasion lol.

Will it be in Kerala? I love the kalyana food :Dwith the banana leaf :lol: no it'd be in the US

coconutty
July 2nd, 2006, 02:08 AM
Whoa, it must be a real pain. :neutral:
:neutral: he is.. cuz he got SOOO carried away @ my sister's ... it was veryyy lavish. not my style